Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ten years ago today...



...I became a mother for the first time. I still can make myself cry just conjuring up the memory of looking into those eyes for the first time. He just looked and looked at me, blinking frequently, just not sure what to think of all this. Or maybe he knew exactly what to think. Maybe he was thinking, "Oh, there you are. It's about time you looked at me. I've been wondering when this day would come." At any rate, the last ten years have been pretty crazy. And he's just so big now! Really, he's tall. Really tall. Taller than all the other kids his age. And smart. Really smart. And athletic. He got a basket in a game on Friday that blew me away. Where did he learn to do that? And he played in goal on Saturday for his soccer team and made a save that was amazing. And he's reading "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe", and "Spiderwick" and I've read those books and we're having real conversations about the characters and the plot and foreshadowing. He's an amazing kid. And I'm his mom. And I have been for ten years. Ten. Years. Today.

No comments: