Monday, February 18, 2008

Cat Bordhi is a genius


Really. This is amazing. I started making socks for...well, for me...because my foot was handy and I wouldn't ask questions when I started measuring length, circumference, arch etc. Others would.
Also because I went to Madrona (grin) Marketplace and I bought Blue Moon Fiber Arts mediumweight sock yarn in colourway Watermelon Tourmaline and it is really yummy. Mmmm. And I couldn't resist so I started to make socks...for me.
As I went on my merry way, trying out the Master sock pattern, working out the numbers (which is, let's face it, algebra) I started to doubt. I thought, there is no way this is going to work. I thought, seriously, my feet are not THIS big! She is clearly crazy. Then something completely bizarre happened. I tried them on (because I am knitting toe up and you can do that kind of thing). And guess what! They fit. Perfectly. Like they were custom made, just for me. Like someone had used algebra to make sure the arch sat at just the right spot and the heel curved at just the right moment. Cat Bordhi is a genius.
So, I went to Madrona. Not as a participant, but as a lurker. I went to the market place and started chatting with a lovely lady. We gave our opinion on knitting blankets. We talked about structure and knitting in one piece compared to knitting in blocks and joining with seams. I opposed her opinion in polite discussion. Then I looked at her name tag. It was BEV GALESKAS. You know, the genius behind the felted clog. I felt myself turn ten shades of red. The impertinence! How dare I try to tell Bev Galeskas that a blanket needs seams to give it structure.? What do I know? Crazy.
The reason I have had all these fun things happen to me is because my husband took me to Seattle for 2 nights away from the rat race. It was so fun and relaxing and excellent. And I actually looked at him for the first time in a long time. I mean really looked at him without someone yelling "mom" and without thinking about what I was making for dinner and how many loads of laundry I have to do and what is that mess on the wall anyway? It was really nice. I liked who I saw. I am glad I married him. I just have to take a minute to look at him once in a while and remember who he is. He's pretty great.

No comments: