Thursday, January 3, 2008

I've been published

I got published in the Vancouver Sun today. Since I wrote it, I think it's ok for me to copy and paste it here. I was a little embarassed when I saw they actually published it and blushed a little to think of everyone reading it and thinking whatever they think about me or my ideas. It's a funny thing to have something you wrote published, even if it is just a little letter. So here it is:

Inspirational New Year's resolutions
We asked readers to tell us about their resolutions, and you offered a few surprises. Here are our top three letters:
Vancouver SunPublished: Thursday, January 03, 2008
Do my part to help the environment
Last December I decided I didn't want to make another New Year's resolution that I wouldn't keep. I was trying to come up with a resolution that mattered and that I was motivated to keep for more than just esthetic reasons.
I don't smoke, rarely drink and couldn't identify any other really bad habits I needed to break (although I'm sure my husband could come up with a long list, if pressed).

Just after Christmas last year I was having coffee with a friend at Starbucks and I saw one of the baristas taking out the garbage. Judging from the size-to-weight ratio of the bag of trash, it appeared to be a huge sack full of empty, used paper cups. I looked at the paper cup in my hand and saw that I did have a terrible habit!
In spite of the half dozen commuter coffee cups sitting in my cupboard at home, I continuously bought coffee in a paper cup. There and then I made it my New Year's resolution to stop using paper cups. I always carry a big purse around so why not throw a reusable coffee cup in it for just such occasions? I also took a china mug to keep at work for my morning trips to the local coffee shop in my building.
I think 2008 will be the "litterless lunch" resolution. My goal will be to take a washable napkin and reusable containers with me rather than the endless paper napkins, plastic wrap and single-serving-size snacks. Even though they are quick and easy for packing my family's lunches with little clean up at the end of the day, I am going to try to make a difference by resolving to use a bit more effort. I think it is convenience that is filling the landfills and a little extra effort will reduce my contribution to the heap.

No comments: